Weekend Reading 07.26.19


After last weekend's busy trip to the JFK Museum and an impromptu trip to Water Country, this upcoming weekend is looking much more relaxed. A library visit, some playtime with friends, and a quiet Sunday family dinner :)

Here are some of the things I've been reading and pondering this week:

It is time to ask very hard questions and take very rude positions. I've been thinking a lot these days about how to respond to system racism in our society as a person who has lived an undeniably privileged life. I'm grateful to Stacy-Marie Ishmael for pointing the way:

I want you to marinate for a long, long moment in the moral indecency of this present and specifically on the part you played to get us here. Focus, focus.
Who did you erase? Who did you diminish? Who did you effortlessly plagiarise and replace? For whom did you fail to make room? Who did you accuse of taking up too much room? Who prompted you to clutch your purse and walk a little faster? Who did you find insufficiently deferential? Who did you describe as divisive? Who did you think needed to see the bigger picture? To whom did you counsel civility in the face of injustice? Who did you ask where they were fromfrom? Whose hair did you touch? Who did you not even see? Whose lives didn’t matter to you?...
What I want is for you to feel guilt, because where there is guilt there might be empathy. Where there is guilt there might be a willingness to take responsibility. Where there is guilt there might be an acknowledgement of personal accountability.
Where there is guilt there might be compassion, the decision to care. And where there is the conviction of a decision there might be the will to act.
Swimming with the Sharks This article has some great resources for channeling a child's interest in the marine life and sea creatures. So many fun careers to explore for a kid who is drawn tot he ocean.

Back to Homeschool Traditions & Fun We homeschool all year round in a slow and steady fashion, but it's still fun to celebrate the dawning of a new school year. This article is helping me brainstorm ideas for a special start to the new year.

Debt Freedom with Sami Womack My favorite podcast listen this week! I so related to Sami's decision to live in a less-than-desirable neighborhood and make other counter-cultural financial choices in order to craft a lifestyle in keeping with her family's values. A must-listen for anyone looking to design a life with greater intention.

10 Picture Book Biographies for World-Changing Girls If you're raising a passionate, empowered young lady like I am, you'll want to check out these stories of girls who chased their dreams in the fields of math, science, art, and more! Most of these titles were new to me, but I'll definitely be taking this list to the library this week.

Thank you for stopping by! A safe and happy weekend to you and your family.


Comments

  1. Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog post! I hope you find a title you enjoy listening to! I will check out the Picture Book biography list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I will, Danielle! I've already got a few from your list waiting for me at the library :)

      Delete

Post a Comment