What We've Been Reading Lately - June 2019

I feel a little sheepish dishing out so many 4.5 and 5 star ratings, but this month's reading really was that good! With novels old and new and some great non-fiction titles, I bet there's something for everyone in this list.

Marilla of Green Gables by Sarah McCoy

Image result for marilla of green gables goodreads

As a devoted Anne fan, I was nervous to try this one! What if the author ruined my beloved Avonlea? I needn't have worried. Sarah McCoy's reverence for the world of Anne is evident on every page. I loved this imagining of the backstory of Marilla's life before Ann entered the picture. Well done, Sarah McCoy.

5 out of 5 stars

Shortest Way Home: One Mayor's Challenge and a Model for America's Future by Pete Buttigieg

Image result for shortest way home

I'm intrigued by Pete Buttigieg's bid for President as the mayor of a small-ish Midwestern city. I didn't know what to expect with this one, but I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know Pete as a complex person, not just a sound byte. I was fascinated to find in him a fellow lover of literature, music and languages, a patriot who served his country in Afghanistan, and a practical politician who harnessed technology and private-public partnerships to revitalize his dying city.

4.5 out of 5 stars

Circe by Madeline Miller

Image result for circe book cover

I adored the author's earlier book, The Song of Achilles, and this book confirmed me as a die-hard Madeline Miller fan. Here you get the story of the Odyssey told from the point of view of the witch Circe. This retelling flips the story on its head and will have you questioning the traditional Odysseus narrative in the best of ways. I did this one on audio and the narration was excellent. Highly recommended.

5 out of 5 stars

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Image result for jane eyre goodreads

I read this one in 10th grade, but re-reading it as an adult was a completely different experience. A romantic, coming of age story filled with mystery, atmosphere and a strong female lead. This one spoke to me in ways that my teenage self would never have imagined.

4.5 out of 5 stars

The Brave Learner: Finding Everyday Magic in Homeschool, Learning and Life by Julie Bogart


This book was like therapy for my mama heart. If you've ever wondered if you're doing it right or doing enough, Julie's book will set you free to delight in your children and chart a path that makes sense for your family. I've started to implement some of her strategies - you can read about that here. But I'd recommend this book to any parent, homeschooling or not.

5 out of 5 stars

What have you been reading this month? Any winners I should know about?

Comments

  1. My favorite book this month was called The Huntress it was about a world war II Russian female bomber pilot told alongside a tale of an American teenager who suspects her step-mother is not everything she appears to be. Sounds like you read lots of great books this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds great! I'm going to check that one out. Thanks for the recommendation :)

      Delete
  2. I love posts like these. The only two I have read are Jane Eyre and The Brave Learner. Both are great! I think I need to re-read Jane Eyre as I wrote an essay on it for university, and the slant I went at made me see the book in a negative way, but I remember reading it and enjoying it for itself.

    Coming via Hearts & Home

    Sarah - http://www.littlecottage.school.blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane Eyre is probably my favourite book of all time, and Miller is on my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment