Our Week in Books


This was our short stack of read aloud this week!

Moses's favorite was Froggy Plays T-Ball by Jonathan London.  He reports, "My favorite part was when Frogilina says, 'Not your home! Home plate!' and Froggy gets a red face."

Abigail's pick was The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle.  I asked her to tell me what she liked about it and she said, "I liked ALL the parts, so I win!!" A wee bit competitive, that one.

My favorite was a sweet Easter story called The Country Bunny and the Little Golden Shoes by Du Bose Heyward. I'm sure I must have run across this book somewhere along the way in my childhood, but when we read it this week, it felt like I was discovering it for the first time. It is a treasure! It's a rare book that keeps both kids engaged from beginning to end, but we had quite a few precious bedtime snuggles with all three of us in the big bed, enraptured by a lovely story of a young rabbit who dreams of becoming an Easter bunny, grows up to mother her twenty-one baby bunnies with great skill, and then goes on to fulfill her dream, proving herself wise and kind and swift and brave in the process. Maybe I like it so much because it's a triumph of stay-at-home-motherhood, or maybe it's the wonderful storytelling. Either way I loved finding this surprise in the children's section!

The rest of our read aloud stack this week included,
Up in the Garden and Down in the Dirt
Miss Rumphius 
The Poky Little Puppy
Don't Eat the Teacher
Score One for the Sloths
Little Kids First Big Book of Birds
Where the Wild Things Are
The First Dog
Home for a Bunny

Comments