Milestones

With Abigail cruising past the six month mark, and Moses up to two and a half months, we have seen a lot of milestones come and go in recent weeks.  Here are some of my favorites!

Abigail has mastered the army crawl.  I came to this discovery when I left her in the center of our living room with a few toys, and returned 3 minutes later to find that she had disappeared.  I later found her wallowing in a mountain of dirty laundry!  She loves being able to get where she wants to go.  She can also get herself into a seated position and up onto all fours, but no actual belly-off-the-ground crawling yet.

We've also gotten into the solid foods department.  Kim, you can tell your pediatrician that her first food was avocado ;)  Actually, I think technically her first solid was paper, and her second was steel wool, but don't tell your pediatrician that!  She's not the greatest at pushing the food to the back of her mouth, but we are working on it and seeing some progress.

At her six month appointment, she weighed 14 pounds, 15 ounces (26th percentile).  In other words, she is the most petite baby our family line(s) have ever produced.  Not sure how that happened!

Abigail continues to be completely enamored with her older brother.  I guess that's not a milestone, but it is one of my favorite things about this stage.  I spend a lot of time coaching him about how to handle her grabbing his toys, etc.  Interestingly he can't stand it when she touches him, but he's very caring towards her if she is at a safe distance and isn't making any sudden movements in his direction.  

I keep getting told that Abigail has gypsy eyes.  They are VERY dark and VERY big.  I've decided I think I'm OK with her being a gypsy :)

Moses has recently been perfecting his singing.  He can sing the whole alphabet song, usually with a few bars of Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star thrown in.  He also likes You are My Sunshine, Happy Birthday, and Row Row Row Your Boat. 

He definitely prefers letters to numbers.  He doesn't like anything to do with counting and stubbornly refuses to acknowledge the existence of the number two, although he seems to tolerate three, four, five and eleven.  Go figure!

At long last Moses is slowly widening his food preferences.  Through much cajoling, bribing, and depriving him of all the foods he likes, we can sometimes get him to eat broccoli, carrots, and spinach.  We are trying to train him to say "I don't like it, but I will try it!" at the dinner table.  Definitely cuter than shrill screams and throwing food across the room.

Moses "read" us his first book "all by himself" this week, Sandra Boynton's Blue Hat, Green Hat.  His other current favorites are Chicka Chicka Boom Boom and Papa, Please Get the Moon for Me.  He loves anything to do with the moon!

And just in case you are wondering about the obvious omissions from this list, I don't anticipate sleeping through the night or toilet training are going to make it to our list of milestones anytime soon :)


Comments