5 Things for Your Friday


Our week has been so, so full!

The kids ran their first lemonade stand (bringing in an astounding $96!), Abigail got a killer haircut, we had two play dates with faraway friends, and a meet-up at the pool. As a result, our house is trashed and every single towel in the place is in need of washing. I'm overflowing with gratitude for this awesome life we lead, and also looking forward to some down time this weekend to reset!

Here's what I've been thinking about these days. 

Begin the New Year Thanking God for Your Homeschool Homeschooling is a ton of work. It's easy to start viewing it as a burden. But homeschooling isn't something we have to do; it's something we get to do. These invitations to gratitude help me remember that homeschooling is an honor and a privilege.

Legacy File We've tried to be responsible in preparing to provide for our children should my husband and I unexpectedly pass away. We have a will, we have life insurance, we have zero debt. But this step-by-step guide to caring for your children in a world without you in highlighted several areas where our lack of thoughtfulness would pile stress on our loved ones in the event of a sudden death. I'm grateful to fellow homeschool mama Rachel Rainbolt for spelling this all out and equipping me to take my game to the next level in this area. She writes,
[Estate planning] is the grand, final gesture of love and care that you extend to your loved ones. It is a loud echo that can leave them comforted by your lullaby in the depth of their grief and on through the years. Or abandoned - overwhelmed, lost and resentful. Abandoned is a strong word that may seem odd in the case of a death but it really fits. This legacy work can leave your children feeling mothered by you through the transition and long after you're gone. Yes, a childhood full of love and lessons are obviously impactful, but this practical piece is a life raft of tangible evidence of your forethought for their well being. You can set up your estate, however big or small, at any level. It's not the dollar amount, but the preparation that communicates a legacy of love.
The Benefits of the Right Pet Might Amaze You As someone who has long been waffling about the prospect of adding a dog to our family, this article was on point.

Finding Another Piece of the Puzzle (Why I Jumped on the Enneagram Bandwagon) I know not everyone is excited about the way the Enneagram is sweeping our culture right now, but Nicole beautifully articulates the gifts the Enneagram has for us:
I felt known and seen, like someone had crawled into my brain and saw what it was like to see the world through my eyes. But more than that, I felt like I was seen and loved anyway - like someone saw all my fears and said, "it's okay. I know you're broken, you're not alone."
 And if you haven't heard the songs she refers to, the Enneagram album by Sleeping at Last, definitely do that today. These songs are powerful!

As always, friends, I hope you have a restful, restorative weekend!

Comments