Happy 8th Birthday, Moses!

Every April 3rd we revisit the story of Moses's birth.

How my water broke in the wee hours of the morning and I wondered if I'd wet the bed (the kids favorite part!).

How hours later with nary a contraction in sight my favorite midwife sweetly crooned, "You've lost your swimming pool! It's time to come out now."
 
How I muscled my way through three hours of pushing with Nick by my side as the midwife said, "You're almost there!" approximately five thousand times, finally precipitating the biggest eye roll of my life. You said that hours ago!! Enough with the "almost there" already.


How I fell in love with him immediately and knew that I would fiercely protect this sweet boy for the rest of my days.


And then we tell the story of how you've grown. How infancy was hard on you. How you struggled to eat, struggled to sleep, struggled to acclimate to this harsh world we'd thrust you into. And how we loved you through it. Walking miles upon miles upon miles up and down the streets of Lynn in the stroller because it was the only thing that seemed to soothe your upset tummy. How we played your favorite Taylor Swift CD on repeat because somehow he sweet singing seemed to help.



How somewhere around 5 months you seemed to find your groove and before we knew it we had a smily, bouncy toddler walking all over the place, trying out new words, new foods and new adventures.


We remembered how friendly you were as a toddler, going up to complete strangers and regaling them with your greatest babbles and waves, much more extroverted in that season than either your Mom or your Dad.


How you grew into a big brother who welcomed your little sister with cuddles and giggles even as she turned your world upside down. How you loved to be read to and how you loved being outside, pointing the way toward the interests that would grow to define our family culture. Camping, and berry picking, and playing in the snow have been your favorites since the very beginning it seems.


Today we shared how much we've enjoyed watching you grow up into a thoughtful, inquisitive and tender-hearted young man. Always listening, always asking questions, always eager to learn more.
 

How fun it is to watch you as a great big 8 year old exploring new adventures. How you love building and conceptualizing, making Lego cities and drawing designs in your inventor's notebook. How you're attacking the piano on your way to organ domination and filling our home and our hearts with music. How you love problem solving and coming up with creative solutions. How you are so darn quick to forgive, quick to remind us that everyone makes mistakes.


I'm grateful that for a little while longer you still like to cuddle with me before bed and unload all your thoughts until way past any logical bedtime. I'm grateful that you entrust me with your thoughts and dreams and outlandish goals for the future. I'm so grateful for the young man you're growing up to be. I'm not sure how we lucked out enough to get your in our lives, but I'll never stop thanking God for the gift that you are.


Happy Birthday, Moses! Here's to another sweet, sweet year with you. 


Comments