The Birth

Since it has taken us several months to get this blog up and running, and some of you are still waiting to hear the details of the birth, we're going to do a little flashback to four months ago when Moses was born. Don't worry - I'll spare you (and myself!) all the gory details...

Moses' birth story starts on April 3rd, two days before his official due date, when my water broke at 4 in the morning. We proceeded to the birth center at Beverly Hospital where I received IV antibiotics because I had tested positive for Group B strep. By 7:30 am I was done with the IV and the initial fetal monitoring, but I still had not had any contractions. The clock was ticking, as they say. The midwife warned us that if things did not pick up in the next 2 hours or so, we would be looking at a transfer to the hospital and probably pitocin (not the end of the world, by any means, but definitely not the birth experience we were hoping for). Fortunately we were able to use some techniques from our childbirth classes to get the contractions going. Needless to say, they really got going fast! Four hours after the first contraction, I was fully dilated and ready to push. Pushing lasted just shy of three hours with Moses making his way into this world at 2:53 pm.

Here's a few pictures of our little man as a newborn! At birth he weighed 8 pounds, 10 ounces and was 20.5 inches long.





Comments

  1. It sounds so simple and easy in that paragraph. I showed Sim the photos and I said "This is baby Moses." He said "He's a baby now!?!" I think perhaps he thought I was showing him a picture of Moses from the Bible, as a baby. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment